Thursday, July 6, 2017

Worship Preparation Guide for Sunday, July 9

Worship Preparation Guide for Sunday, July 9
Sermon Text: Isaiah 61

The prophet Isaiah just can’t get over the fact that God is willing to step into our lostness and rebellion and make a way for us to be reconciled back to Him.  The righteousness God requires of us He graciously makes available to us through the Servant-Messiah.  God is ready and willing to provide what He requires of His people. 

Many times when Isaiah presents the work of the Servant-Messiah, the response that immediately follows is one of praise and thanksgiving. 
God’s work of salvation:
“Behold, God is my salvation; 
I will trust and not be afraid;
for the LORD GOD is my strength and my song, 
and He has become my salvation.”

The people’s response of worship:
“Sing praises to the LORD for he has done gloriously; 
let this be made known in all the earth.” (Is 6:2 & 4)

God’s work of salvation:
 “I am the LORD; I have called you in righteousness; 
I will take you by the hand and keep you;
                  I will give you as a covenant for the people, 
a light for the nations,
to open the eyes that are blind, 
to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,
from the prison those who sit in darkness.

The people’s response of worship:
Sing to the LORD a new song, 
his praise from the end of the earth;  (Is 42:6 & 10)

God’s work of salvation:
Thus says the LORD: “In a time of favor I have answered you; 
in a day of salvation I have helped you;
                  I will keep you and give you as a covenant to the people,  

The people’s response of worship:
Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth; break forth, 
O mountains, into singing!  (Is 49:8 & 13)

God’s work of salvation:
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, 
because the LORD has anointed me
                  to bring good news to the poor; 
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
                  to proclaim liberty to the captives, 
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

The people’s response of worship:
I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; 
my soul shall exult in my God….. (Is 61:1 & 10)

Over and over we see that when God demonstrates his saving grace and undeserved mercy, the natural response of the people is one of praise and worship. 

As you prepare for worship I encourage you to read Isaiah 61 and Luke 4 (where Jesus preaches this text and declares that he is the fulfillment of it!) 

Isaiah 61 is about the gospel transformation that comes through Jesus the Servant-Messiah. 

Earlier in Isaiah the people of God were compared to a “bruised reed”, weak and broken twigs (Is 42:3).  Through the work of Christ we are now “oaks of righteousness” (Is 61:3). 

People that were once dry and barren are now a garden planted by the Lord that sprouts and grows flowers of “righteousness and praise” (Is 61:11).

All of this is for the glory of the Lord and the everlasting joy of this people. 


Come this Sunday prepared to worship, listen, sing, serve and praise our Lord Jesus Christ.  Do so remembering that it is only through the power and provision of his Holy Spirit that we can worship him as we should. 

No comments:

Post a Comment