Friday, January 13, 2017

Worship Preparation Guide for Sunday, January 15 Sermon Text: Isaiah 41:1-20

Held in the hand of God
Much of what we read in the Old Testament seems dated and irrelevant to our day and age and culture.  Hand carved gold-laden idols seem distant to our sense of religious right and wrong. 

But fear, anxiety, guilt, hopelessness……these are timeless.  

The main point of Isaiah 41:1-20 is that the people of God should not be a fearful people.  We should not be a people who are anxious or troubled or worried or fretful about things that threaten us.  Economic adversity, hostile people, satanic opposition, guilt-laden consciences, deteriorating health, not even death can undo us when are resting in the truth that we are constantly being held in the hand of God.  The mark of God's people is not panic, but peace; not fretfulness, but faith; not incapacitating fear, but rather humble courageous confidence in God.  So here is the question we’ve heard before in our journey through Isaiah: In whom will you trust – man-made gods and the people who made them, or the sovereign God who created you (v20), cares for you (v170, helps you (v13), and personally holds you in his strong grip of grace (v10)?

All you worms rejoice!
Most of us are probably not comfortable being called a "worm"? (Isaiah 41:14)  Satan’s man-centered gospel of limitless self-esteem and self-help makes us believe we are too valuable to be called worms (Is 41:14). This gospel of self-help ultimately cannot and will not heal or help.  It will only deceive us and then drop us to be crushed under the very burdens we desperately need help with or burned up by the heat of our trials. To the one who does not see his desperate need there is nothing amazing about grace. C.S. Lewis said, “When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him.  When a man is getting worse he understands his own badness less and less.” (Mere Christianity)

Turtles and worms
When I’m riding down the road in my truck, or even on my bike, if I see a turtle in the middle of the road I try to stop and move it out of the way of danger.  Believe it or not, I try to do the same thing when I see a worm struggling on the sidewalk.  (I guess its because my wife has educated me on their eco-value!)  Those poor helpless creatures are doomed to be squashed or scorched without someone’s help. 

I’m thankful God does that for “worms” - for wretched sinners like me. 

As you prepare for worship consider this:  we all know and cherish the words “amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me”.  Only when we recognize our desperate condition apart from God will we cherish the grace that draws us and reconciles us back to God.  Only when we cherish the grace that draws us and reconciles us back to God will we worship with the sense of awe and thankfulness. 

In out sermon text this week we hear God say, “……fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Is 41:10)   What we read in God’s word we will sing back to Him in songs of worship.  How thankful I am “He Will Hold Me Fast”!

“When I fear my faith will fail, Christ will hold me fast;
When the tempter would prevail, He will hold me fast.
I could never keep my hold through life’s fearful path;
For my love is often cold, He must hold me fast.

Chorus:
He will hold me fast, He will hold me fast;
For my Savior loves me so, He will hold me fast.

Those He saves are His delight, Christ will hold me fast;
Precious in His holy sight, He will hold me fast.
He’ll not let my soul be lost, His promises shall last;
Bought by Him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.
Chorus

For my life He bled and died, Christ will hold me fast;
Justice has been satisfied, He will hold me fast.
Raised with Him to endless life, He will hold me fast; 
Till our faith is turned to sight when he comes at last.


Chorus

No comments:

Post a Comment